Sunday, December 30, 2007

Have a Holly Jolly Christmas

So, it turns out that the "candy cane" icon on a barber shop has nothing to do with Christmas or candy. I kind of always hoped that it did.... Actually, the red and white spiral pole represented something about the barbers of yester-year, who performed "bloodletting" at times, etc. The spirals actually represented the bandages that were used, among other things. Gross.
"Why am I telling you this?", you might ask. Well, last night was the BIG Williams family Christmas celebration, with my grandparents, my dad's 4 brothers, their extended families, etc. I didn't get a count, but it had to be 40 or so (not everyone was even there!) It's always a pretty exciting time, lasting 'til midnight or so, with myriads of cousins devising plans to take over the world. Last night was no different. The game was "play barber".
I first found out the plan when Jennifer told me that Noah had gotten a haircut from his cousin, Ashton (both 6 years old). Concerned, I found Noah, and saw a few hunks of hair gone--nothing too major, I thought. It will grow back. 5 minutes later, things got a bit worse (no, he didn't go the bloodletting route, if that's what you're thinking--thankfully!). I found out that there actually had been a line of cousins getting their hair cut by the prodigy barber. One of them, the beautiful Kiley-Sue--the bright-eyed 3 year old daughter of my cousin, Tami. I think Kiley-Sue had recently gotten her first hair cut or something, and it had been styled as cute as you can get. It's been re-styled. She must have held really still for Ashton, as it looked really straight across the back (except for the single beautiful lock that extended about 6 or 8 inches past the rest of it).
Thankfully, we actually have 2 ex-barbers in the family--my grandpa and my uncle. We found some scissors (other than the kid's craft scissors that Ashon had used), and my uncle Tom turned into Super-Barber, who gave multiple salvage hair cuts for cousins. What a night. That one will go down in the books as a VERY memorable Williams Family Christmas....

7 comments:

Infarrantly Creative said...

Oh man...no pictures? Come on I am a visual person. You are leaving me hanging.

Anonymous said...

So my only question is... did you take lots of pictures so Ashton can put it in his portfolio when he goes to Barber school!

I am laughing out loud! No one got a hold of his locks did they? What a great thing to remember at Christmas gatherings for years to come! The Year of the Hair Cut!

Ted Williams said...

I can't tell you all how much I wanted to line 'em up and take pictures. I honestly think my cousin, Tammy, might have killed me, though. It wasn't a "Kodak moment" for her....

No pics. What a horrible blogger I'm turning out to be.

Oh--Ashton also cut his own hair, but not as much as the others.

Aunt Pam said...

It was a Williams Christmas that will never be forgotten!

Happy New Year!

Ted Williams said...

Hey Pam! We sure do make it exciting!

Infarrantly Creative said...

Ummm wheres bloggerted? Just because you have a birthday and your dear Buckeyes got cremated doesn't give you an excuse to not blog for more than a week. HELLO? Come out of hiding please.

Ted Williams said...

Sorry for the lack of blogness. I'm back. I think.