Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Picture Pages

I can remember a song from when I was a kid (yesterday, or so)..."picture pages, picture pages, time to get our picture pages, time to get our crayons and our pencils..." It was a part of a Saturday morning Bill Cosby kid's show (complete with Fat Albert, etc.).
Kids relate to pictures. They say that a picture paints a thousand words....

Yesterday, I got up early with Noah, and was going through my prayer list (see my "pray" post from a while back). I asked Noah if he'd like to make a prayer list. Of course, he wanted to. It started well, with him just telling me things, and me typing away (things like, "thank God for my favorite animal in the world, the armadillo..."), but everything quickly changed. He told me to draw a picture of a heart, because God loves him, and he loves God. Then he wanted a picture that let God know he was thankful for his favorite Halloween character, Dracula (I found some nice kid's clip art for that one...I guess it's OK to thank God for Dracula...still figuring that one out for myself).

At first, when Noah asked me to do the "drawing" part, I was a little tripped up, and attempted to explain to him how it was something for writing words. Then I quickly realized that Noah was doing to me what I seem to do to people, as well. He was coloring outside of my box. He was going beyond what I'd thought of, in a pretty creative way. At first, I tried to shut him down, but he was persistent. I'm so glad.... I'm going to put some clip art in my prayer Word document. You should too. Something besides Dracula, preferably.

2 comments:

clayburkle said...

Prayer pictures instead of prayer lists. I like it. Oh... the unfettered creativity of children.

Ted Williams said...

Exactly. The entrepreneurial side of me is thinking here....