Sunday, November 11, 2007

Half Past Ten


Whenever I get a call late at night from someone, I generally expect the worst. I guess it's my nature. I always tense up a bit, and prepare mentally to head to a hospital or something....
So, last night the phone rings at 10:38pm. Ugggh. Jen answers, listens for 20 seconds or so, then tells the caller that I couldn't possibly be their grandpa, because I'm only 32. (yes, I explained to Jennifer afterwards that technically, a person could easily be a grandpa by 32--she didn't want to hear it, really)
What was that call about??? Jen told me that the the caller said, "Is this the home of Ted Williams? (yes) OK...I know this is going to sound strange to you, but I've been looking for him for a while, because I really think that he could be my grandpa...." Jen said the lady sounded pretty nervous, etc., and she thinks it was a legit call. Crazy!!
It makes me think, though. What are we looking for? Who are we searching for? Everyone wants to be a part of a family. A real family that legitimately shares life together. That is what we are called to be as the body of Christ. It is one of the things that the "church" is really to be about.
Maybe if she calls back, I'll offer to fill in as "grandpa" for a while... (although it would be a bit strange, as Jen said she sounded like an adult African-American woman--maybe she would still appreciate the "quarter out of the ear" trick....)

4 comments:

clayburkle said...

sounds like another twist in the williams family tree... grandpa. I expect to see you on Maury Povich pretty soon.

Ted Williams said...

Thanks Clay...I always had you pegged as a Maury watcher.

Anonymous said...

You'll make an awesome Grandpa....

Ted Williams said...

right....