Monday, November 5, 2007

Fix My Eyes



Last week I was lying next to my 6 year old, as he was preparing to go to bed and we were telling stories, as we do every night. He suddenly kicked into prophecy mode again (this sometimes happens, especially during times of struggle for him), and he began to passionately talk to God: "God, why can't I see you? Why don't You have skin like this (pointing to his leg, where he'd pulled his pajama leg up)? I just want to see You! I know You love me...can You just fix my eyes, so I can see You?" Noah went on a bit longer, but my mind got stuck there. Why would Noah ask God to fix his eyes? I never expected his prayer to go that direction.

I was pretty convicted by the fact that the problem is NEVER God. It's always me. The fact that I so often choose to look at a problem more than God has nothing to do with God's ability to be seen, but it's my choice to intensely focus elsewhere, blinding me to His overwhelmingly obvious presence. He is there, waiting to be seen.

Mark 10:13-16

13People were bringing little children to Jesus to have him touch them, but the disciples rebuked them. 14When Jesus saw this, he was indignant. He said to them, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. 15I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it." 16And he took the children in his arms, put his hands on them and blessed them.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's that whole perspective thing! If only I could get the selfishness out of my eyes... it clouds everything I look at! It distracts from His greatness and my ability to truly see what He is doing in my life. I need remember to "Fix" my eyes on Jesus.

Thanks, Noah, for the reminder!

Ted Williams said...

Thanks Vicki! It seems so simple...

Regina said...

What an amazing, insightful (no pun intended!) child you have!

Ted Williams said...

insightful...hah!