Tuesday, April 1, 2008

American Idol TOP NINE

(I figured if I put her picture up, she might get voted off...let's see if it works)

OK...the "April Fools" edition of American Idol. Bring it....
Tonight's mentor: Dolly Parton--obviously iconic, amazing, high-energy, ageless (literally I think) performer.


Brooke White--"Jolene"--the crooked mouth thing started up for her tonight (someone please tell me if I do that--it's annoying to watch). I didn't like it that much, but it wasn't bad, necessarily. It felt a little sloppy musically (not a tight band or vocal)--just didn't gel. Not bad.
David Cook--"Little Sparrow"--His own arrangement, this time, evidently. Pretty good, but not amazing to me. He's definitely solid. I liked that he played an acoustic guitar this week, and lost the other guitar for a performance.
Ramiele Malubay--"Do I Ever Cross Your Mind"--I feel like I just turned on a Gaither Homecoming video. And (not to knock Bill Gaither--great guy) I enjoyed it about as much (not). Not good. Hopefully, she'll leave soon, although tonight's singing wasn't horrid.
Jason Castro--"Travelin' Through"--My favorite song of the night so far, I think. Great song choice. I like the little pre-chorus sections of the song. He looked comfortable on the stage and the band seemed to gel together.
Carly Smithson--"Here You Come Again"--Definitely not a song written by Dolly Parton. Not my favorite song in the world, but SHE CAN SING LIKE CRAZY. I'd pick her over Celine Dion any day of the week. She's so good. Great job at making an average song sound good.
David Archuleta--"Smoky Mountain Memories"--He's a really good singer. For real. And again tonight, he's so passionate about singing and is able to connect with the songs better than most professionals. He did a great job tonight--it seemed like his upper range was easier for him tonight than in past weeks. Good for him.
Kristy Lee Cook--"Coat of Many Colors"--She's just not a good performer. The song was OK. The thing at the end was not necessary--just a little showy, but not good. Not bad. Not good. She just lucky to still be here, and seems to know it at this point.
Syesha Mercado--"I Will Always Love You"--I didn't realize Dolly wrote that one--wow! That song should keep Dollywood afloat for about another century or so. The white down lighting did horrible things to her hair (sorry). Not very good breath control early on, but a great tone to her voice. The long note thing was just for that-- a long note--not really musical. I wish she had kept it simple, and not done the Whitney key change in the middle. It hurt her, I think.... She's not as good as Whitney. Yet (maybe some day).
Michael Johns--"It's All Wrong, But It's Alright"--Great song choice, I think. A great blues/gospel feel to it. I like that he kept it really simple musically, letting his voice shine (which it did). GREAT, musical guitar player/piano player, too. Great job, over-all.



Leaving us tomorrow night Ramiele or Kristy Lee Cook. I hope.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your reviews. I was wondering if there will be an American Idol Final 2 party?

Ted Williams said...

I'm always up for parties...let's talk through that one....

Unknown said...

hey man back off my Kristy Lee... She may not know how to sing but she's gorgeous so who cares...

Jonathan

RLHanks said...

Dolly's cool and wrote some great lyrics. She has always seemed to me to be genuinely nice. So much for that...
Brooke - a bit weak for me she could be in bottom 3
David C. - good, not great
Ramiele - not good and I love Gaither gatherings
Jason - I liked it. Not too showy, but clean
Carly - I loved it. She is really, really, very, very good. I do think the cold is getting to you though, she's no Celine. Not yet.
David A. - unreal. Everytime he sings I find myself muttering "seventeen". Normally kids that have sung as much as he has are so disconnected from their songs. Not him, he's got me convinced. I wonder if he will be able to soften his intake breath volume? Is that a trainable "habit" or is it anatomical?
Christy - you got it all correct (on this one)
Syesha - Becca noticed the hair thang also. She's got a really nice voice. I remember Dolly's version, but all I could think of was Whitney's and that hurt her.
Michael - Guitar was wonderful. What a great gig to play on that show, huh. Good vocals. I didn't agree with Simon that it was his best to date, but it was okay.
Brooke, Ramiele & Christy SHOULD be bottom 3 with Ramiele leaving, but...
Later

Ted Williams said...

Jonathan--sorry. I'm sure she'll make you a great wife someday.

rleedude--about the "intake breath volume"--yes. It can be softened with coaching, for sure. It hasn't bothered me with him--maybe it will from now on, though. Thanks for bringing it to my attention so that it will now be all I hear when he sings...ugggh.