Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Sleep Over (with Shrek)



Watercooler Wednesday post (a BIT of a stretch with the guidelines, but there's a movie in the post...and I cooked...it counts....):

OK...so it was just Noah (my 6 year old son) and me. He'd asked--no, begged me a week or so ago for me to have a "sleep over" with him. I told him that we'd put it on the calendar. The day finally came: Easter Sunday night. I made some popcorn (NOT microwave, but I actually made popcorn, with the big pot, oil, some really good seasoning that my sister gave me a while back, etc.--much more satisfaction than throwing a bag in a microwave), poured some root beer, and put on a movie of his choice (we watched Shrek). We made a "bed" of sleeping bag and lots of blankets and pillows on the living room floor.
I learned a few things from it:
1. I love Noah.
2. He loves me.
3. We won't have forever to do this kind of thing--live the moments.
4. Shrek's disgusting ogre-ly manners are hilarious to a 6 year old.
5. Sleeping on the floor all night hurts way more than it used to.

4 comments:

Jim Drake said...

Still have a 10 year old son that loves to do this.. so you have a few more years.

You're right--cherish the moments--I don't think we want them doing this when they are 17!!

Infarrantly Creative said...

Good for you Ted, that is so cool! Shrek has some great adult humor that makes it so enjoyable for adults too!

Ted Williams said...

Thanks Jim--I'll look forward to more years of fun. You're right...17 might be pushing it.

RLHanks said...

Let me know how you feel about "not wanting him to do that when he's 17" , when he's 17. As for the sleeping on the ground, uh yeah, 1 word "AEROBED" (queen size).