Wednesday, March 5, 2008

American Idol (girls)

OK--I'm trying something new, with a friend, Randy Elrod, over at Ethos. It's called Watercooler Wednesday, and will be done every Wednesday (hence, the name). It's an opportunity for creative people to huddle in one place, once a week, to discuss or monologue about...well, whatever they can come up with, I guess (generally relating to current culture, creativity, etc.). I'm going to (for now) use it as a place for my weekly American Idol review and predictions of who gets the boot, etc.
On with the show...
OK...we have the girls singing 80s tonight. Hmmm....
Asia'h Epperson--Pretty good song choice. She seems to be trying a little too hard tonight. I liked the key change. BGVs were spot on. I generally liked it. Pretty good job.
Kady Malloy--She did the annoying "sh" thing to end words (sang the word "plash" instead of "place"). Celine Dion does that, and it drives me nuts. This girl is NO CELINE. Horrible song choice, and she didn't do it well. There's no possible way she could actually win this.
Amanda Overmeyer--She's back. WAY better than last week. Good song choice. Yahoo! Well done. Really.
Carly Smithson--Good song choice. Well done. Not my favorite from her, but really good. She doesn't hold back much. I like that. Her vocal chords are going to explode some day, but until then, I really like her.
Kristy Lee Cook--Amazing song. It really makes me nervous to think she's going to take on a Steve Perry song. I don't like her high range much (it loses the little rasp, and goes more pure--not consistent). The end was not good. She needs to learn her limitations, and sing accordingly. Not as good as the judges thought, honestly, but OK.
Ramiele Malubay--Great song. I love Phil Collins. Not too bad of a performance. Honestly, I think there's a lot more in her than what she's doing. She seems to be holding back a bunch to me, and playing everything really safe. An amazing singer is able to get away with that. She's not amazing. She can't get away with it. (And Paula is MESSED UP...what was that?) Only OK.
Brooke White--WAY better than I thought it was going to be. I was really nervous when they said what she was going to sing...she really pulled it off, though. Good job. I would have loved a cello line through that, or something.
Syesha Mercado--I don't like the song choice, much. She did OK. Her licks aren't always tight enough for me, really. She has a really good instrument, though, and I think she could be really good, with more experience under her belt. Not bad.
Prediction: Leaving the show tomorrow night will be Kady Malloy and Kristy Lee Cook.

No comments: