Tuesday, March 4, 2008

American Idol (guys)

OK...blogging live again (in the comfort of my home, drinking freshly brewed green tea, and eating Jen's home-made banana pudding--yum!)
80's theme--YAHOO!! I'm feeling good about it.

Luke--He could have been in a boy band MAYBE, as a sidekick when he was 16 or something ('cause he's a good looking guy--not because of his vocal ability alone), but his time is over. He's just not good enough for this. And a dumb song pick for all of the songs he could have chosen from the 80s. Not good enough. He's toast.
David A.--I love this song. He sings a little flat often, but it really doesn't matter at all. He's great. The song ended way too soon. I wanted him to keep singing. I like that he switched the song up enough from Phil Collins' version to make it his own.
Danny--What a dork. He totally fits some of the 80s, though, with the horrific cheesy gestures, etc. Not a horrible performance, really, but I hope he leaves soon.
David Hernandez--a pretty good song choice, but I wasn't as impressed with his vocals this week. The song may have been a little too much for him.... Jen told me today that it came out in the news this week that he used to be a stripper/dancer or something. Yuck. He's a good vocalist, though--generally.
Michael--He puts off the image of superstar. Great song choice for him. I'd go to his concert before any of the others, probably, honestly. I agree with Paula about his strong lower range--it's a really cool thing. No worries for him.
David Cook--He's really a good vocalist. That was probably his best yet. I still don't like the tone of his guitar. He lacks a bit of charisma for me--he probably needs his band behind him to give him a confidence boost. Jen loved it. I thought it was really good.
Jason Castro--Great song. Lincoln Brewster does this song in worship at Bayside Church in Granite Bay, CA--ha! (he put a few different words to it, but it's awesome--look it up on iTunes).
Almost good, but the ending killed him, a bit (if something can kill you "a bit")--you can't show mistakes like that on the stage, in that kind of setting. He could have really taken it somewhere, and didn't. I don't know...I didn't love it, but it was pretty good. I still like him, but not my favorite performance.
Chikezie--Straight up 80s feel. No surprise to me. He's honestly not good enough for me to like him that much. I only like him because he seems like a nice guy--not because of his performance abilities. He looked scared to death at the end of the song.

My predictions: Luke is gone, and Danny (or maybe Chikezie).






1 comment:

Regina said...

LOVE reading your critiques!