Tuesday, April 22, 2008

American Idol Top 6

Andrew Lloyd Webber night--WOW!! The musical theater guru himself. He's written a lot of WEIRD stuff, but a lot of amazing stuff as well, of course. I was actually listening to a bit of his Requiem yesterday (not realizing that this was coming tonight). I'm really interested to see what on Earth most of these contestants are going to do with this....
Syesha Mercado--"One Rock and Roll Too Many"--She certainly was at an advantage, knowing Andrew Lloyd Webber music well. Great song choice, and again I'll say--she's really a good vocalist. She could be a Broadway superstar, for sure. She seemed really comfortable singing tonight, and did a great job.
Jason Castro--"Memories"--The interview thing was awesome...now for the song. Probably a good choice for him. He could have pitched it at least a whole step higher, I think, and it would have been better. Still pretty good, and he managed to (mostly) stay true to himself (except for the orchestral arrangement). And yes--this song was originally written to be sung by a cat. (told you he wrote some weird stuff).
Brooke White--"You Must Love Me"--Ugggh. She dropped lyrics and asked to start the song over...wow. I like that she was sitting down most of the song--makes for less awkward movements from her. Well, it could have been worse, but certainly not her best. I feel bad for her (not the first time).
David Archuleta--"Think of Me"--Well, it seemed a bit changed up, just for the sake of changing it up, to be honest. It didn't seem better--almost worse to me, honestly. I still admire his bravery in changing up such a popular song. It wasn't bad, really, but not that good, I think. He's still a great singer, and is safe as can be (of course).
Carly Smithson--"Jesus Christ, Superstar"--Good for ALW to make her change songs from "All I Ask of You". That could have been less good. First--I dislike the song and the musical, as it seems all a bit sacrilegious. That being said, she did a great job singing, as usual. Well done.
David Cook--"The Music of the Night"--Not what I expected. It sounded like Michael Crawford's original to me. Surprise. It was very well performed, in a very musical theater-ish way. Weird. All he needed was a "Phantom of the Opera" mask. The last note was the only thing that was different, really. Good job, David.

OK--Simon hates musical theater. AND...Brooke's gone. I like her (I actually like everyone who is left at this point), but 2 not good performances in a row--I don't think she'll be able to hold on. Joining her in the bottom will be Syesha (although she gave the best performance of the night, in my opinion) and Jason Castro.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, so this is the first time I watched AI in HD. There are some people that should NOT be in HD. For instance ALW. eekes!

Syesha - she did good, just not a big fan of hers

Jason - I really like Jason. He is very different. Not the best performance but by no means the worst.

Brooke - I actually thought she was going to pass out. She did gather it up at the end.

David A. - He is starting to sound the same with everything. Time to stir it up a little.

Carly- Can she sing or what! Wow. Not too sure about her husband. I don't want to pass judgement or anything but holy cow.

David C. - He did a great job. 2 things, he needed to shave his face and do something else with his hair. His head looked oversized. Presentation is a part of performance in my book.

Ted Williams said...

AI in HD--nothing like it....