Wednesday, April 16, 2008

American Idol Top 7

OK--sorry this is late, y'all. Welcome to Watercooler Wednesday, though!


Today is Mariah Carey day. I'll admit, that I once liked her, in the late 80s/early 90s as a singer. She's not really my style any longer (not sure she was then, but girls liked Mariah, and I like girls...domino effect thing, maybe--uggh....I'm such a sell out....)
David Archuletta--"When You Believe"--I really like that song a lot--loved it the first time I heard it. I think he should have stayed with the melody more on the chorus, instead of doing licks over everything. There will be time for that later for him--not yet though, when he only has one shot at the chorus. Of course, he sounded great, and I think he picked the right song. Good job over all.
Carly Smithson--"I Can't Live"--I would have like a little more reverb on her vocal, actually. Not her fault. It probably wasn't her best, but very very good. She's a great, VERY consistent singer.
Syesha Mercado--"Vanishing"--I'm expecting some great things from her tonight, with Mariah tunes. A little out of tune from the onset, but locked right in after that. Again, I think she could be absolutely stellar after a few more years of vocal maturation. At this point, she's just extremely good. She did a great job tonight. Really. She might be the best vocalist on the show this year, in regards to what she CAN do, but needs some refinement and more time in front of big crowds.
Brooke White--"Hero"--OK--If Brooke's not nervous, I am for her. This will be a big stretch for her, if she in ANY way tries to copy the original. Should have chosen some different chords from the piano. It sounded WEAK at the beginning. And a little throughout, actually. Yikes. She fell apart a bit at the piano in the middle. Probably should have gone with the FULL ORCHESTRA THAT WAS JUST SITTING THERE ON THAT TUNE!! Not very good, however brave it might have been. Paula was right. SO often, when people get a little bit nervous, or something gets wrong, the beat gets faster. She followed suit. Worst so far (although I like her).
Kristy Lee Cook--"Forever"--I'm expecting nothing much. It can only exceed my expectations here. Never having heard that song, It probably fit her as much as any possible Mariah song could have. The steel guitar thing worked for her. She exceeded my expectations. Not bad, really. IF there is any hope of her going anywhere in this competition, she made it a little better tonight. Good for her (but she still doesn't have a hope in the world).
David Cook--"Always Be My Baby"--OK--I'm more eager to hear him than any others tonight...just to see what he's going to do. Good choice for him to have someone else play the guitar tonight, so he can concentrate on vocals, etc. I liked the big toms/strings entrance on the pre-chorus a lot. It got big, and good. I liked the monotone power bgv's--it produces a lot of power in the sound. They should have lived there a little longer, and not gone into parts. Great arrangement. Best of the night, as far as I'm concerned. GREAT JOB DAVID! REALLY well done.
Jason Castro--"I Don't Want to Cray"--IF he doesn't take her advice on the melodic changes, he's an idiot. He needs to keep it simple tonight. Let's see here...great string entrance! I liked the song, over-all. I think he probably SHOULD have kept the guitar, actually (he seems more comfortable with it). Pretty good job, though. Well done, Jason.

Bottom 3--Syesha, Brooke and Kristy Lee Cook. My prediction: there will be an upset as we all watch Brooke leave us tonight. Sad times ahead.

5 comments:

Audra Krell said...

I hope it's not Brooke!

Ted Williams said...

I hope it's not Brooke too (as much as I love being right).

Anonymous said...

Here are my comments:

David Archuletta - Pretty good, not bad at all. I can see David releasing a Christian Album.

Carly Smithson - Very consistent. I'm trying to picture her releasing an album. Not sure what it would be like.

Syesha Mercado - She is good but in my opinion her style is a dime a dozen.

Brook White - Started great. I'm not a huge fan of her behind the piano. Did she get nervous or what. She was shaking like crazy at the end.

Kristy Lee Cook - Much better than I would of thought. I think with a lot of help and direction she could release a country album.

David Cook - I agree 100% with everything you said. I think he would sell the most records of all contestants. Final 2 contestant.

Jason Castro - I generally really like what he does and again liked what he did last night. I agree about the guitar thing. What is weird is he plays the drums in his band. Overall good musician.

Bottom 3: Carly Smithson, Syesha Mercado & Brooke White

Going home: Syesha Mercado

This is as much as a popularity contest as it is a talent contest. Syesha isn't that popular with the fans. We will see her in the crowd in a couple of weeks.

RLHanks said...

Yo!
For starters sorry Audra, it's Brooke.

DA - a bit showy on the licks, but I guess if I could nail 'em I'd do it too. (As to Brian's comment - I understand both Brooke and David A. are mormons).
CS - solid, but not her best for sure
SM - you were spot on
BW - ouch. Definitely should have taken advantage of the band and bgv's. I felt so bad for her. It almost looked as though she was going to cry at the bridge then it seemed like she realized she was out there all alone.
KLC - I thought this was her best yet. Very suprising performance.
DC - I'm sorry,but I didn't see what was so great about this one. It was actually probably my 2nd least favorite of the night. I know I'm a loser, but I went back and watched it today and I really don't think it was that good.
JC - Just okay for me.

My Bottom 3: Brooke, David C. & Jason
America's Bottom 3: Carly, Brooke & Syesha (or Jason in lieu of Carly or Syesha - I know that's cheating, so sue me) No way should Carly be in the bottom 3 at this point, but...

RLHanks said...

My humble apologies Audra. Clearly in addition to being a loser (because I didn't like David Cook's performance this week) I'm a liar (because I said Brooke would be gone). Brooke is apparently made of Kevlar.