Friday, June 20, 2008

Jamestown

Jamestown...lots of historical fun, I must say. We saw an Indian (I think I'm supposed to say Native American) village, 3 really cool ship replicas (by "replica", I mean to scale copies, which seemed to have no modern improvements whatsoever in or on the ships, down to the nails used, etc.), the "Jamestown" settlement village, and a LOT of really cool stuff in between. The villages all were completely functional, with a lot of "workers" there to keep things moving along. Things like wood work, canoe building, cooking, garden tending, leather tanning, blacksmith shop, etc. It brought things to life, and was a lot of fun for us and the kids.
A lady explained at one point to Noah how they would make tea out of sassafras roots. It reminded me of being a kid, searching the hillside where I grew up sassafras saplings I could pull up to chop up the root for tea...I wonder if they had microwaves in Jamestown back in the day....





No comments: