Saturday, June 21, 2008

Elmo's World

When I was a little boy, I would occasionally go over to my Uncle Elmo's house with my dad. (Great) Uncle Elmo lived a little less than mile away from our house, I would guess, through the woods and over a big hill if you're hiking--about a 5 minute drive, though, around the woods and hill. He lived in a very small (like the size of my kitchen, literally) one bedroom house. In the house was a small stove, bed, table, a chair or two...I can't even remember if he had a real refrigerator, but let's say that he did....
Uncle Elmo worked the land and loved nature probably as much as anyone alive (although he passed away quite a few years back). He actually had a pond where he would call fish to the bank--no, I'm serious--he would call the fish, "Here, fishy fishy fishy...", and they would come swimming up to the bank for some food or something. Crazy.
I didn't go inside the house much, but remember one day very well. I was standing in the corner when I saw a bunch of ants. I did what most 5 year old kids would do...started stomping. I'd polished off about 5 or 10 of the worthless creatures when I heard a sharp, "What are you doin'?" from across the room. "Those ants are my friends...stop that!" I quickly stopped the slaughter and fell in line behind my dad, wondering what on earth would happen next. Nothing else was actually said about it. I was off the hook--a little scared, though, and definitely curious about the whole "let's be friends with ants" concept.
Noah reminded me of the whole experience this morning as he spotted a couple of the creatures over in the corner. He quickly ran over to the ants in his grammy's house (don't tell her--she constantly tells herself that there's no such things as bugs in houses, I think--oh wait...! Noah just actually caught one in a cup and showed her as I was typing this. Her response--"where'd you find that? Not in the house, I hope!" I told ya...) OK--back to the story. Noah started talking to the ants. He told one of them about his operation and then the trip to Jamestown yesterday. He told the ant about his coonskin cap that he got, with a real raccoon tail. He talked for a while before coming over to me...
"Dad!"
"Yes, my boy."
"I'm going to catch one of those ants for a little bug pet."
"OK"
"Well, first, I'm going to wash my hands so there's no germs on them"
"OK"
"Then I'm going to dry my hands really well so that he doesn't drown" (Noah's always thinkin')
"Good idea"
Noah went on to explain to me how ants are friendly and that "little guys need friends too".
His idea for capture was to go get some human food, because ants love people food, and put it in his hand. Maybe just a little cheese on his finger or something, he said, to trick the ant, and then, he could have the little guy as his friend forever.
Noah has his ant.
Uncle Elmo would be proud.

No comments: