Friday, May 16, 2008

Tribute

This past Saturday night was pretty special. This was the final concert for Dr. Randy Wolfe as the director of the Cincinnati Boychoir. It's been a lot of years since I've seen him (well over 10, I"m sure). Pictured here is Dr. Wolfe with me, my brother Tyler, and my big sister (yes, she's standing up), Tricia.
During my growing up years, my siblings and I (my younger sister, Toni is not pictured here) spend a ridiculous amount of time with this musical giant. Every Saturday morning, while most kids were deep into cartoons, we got to wake up at about 6:30am to be at his house by 8am (nearly an hour away). We all took piano and voice lessons from him...brings back some horrible memories of having to listen to my siblings practice (ha!).
Some things that make a good teacher:
(Dr. Wolfe was truly all of this and then some)
-excellent at their skill (I don't want to learn from someone who doesn't have a clue)
An amazing pianist, with numerous awards and accomplishments under his belt, nobody on the planet would ever question his abilities. Dr. Wolfe also has quite a good grasp on vocal performance, with an understanding of multiple foreign languages (especially his favorite, German).
-good communicator/charismsa
The ability to keep over 100 boys at a time captive during 2 hour rehearsals for well over 20 years should speak for itself here....
-always learning
The best teachers never "arrive". I still remember the time I told him as a kid that I wished I were as good as he was, so that I would never have to practice. That didn't go down so well....
-cares about more than just the art
Randy Wolfe cares about people--legitimately. If a teacher doesn't love people, keep them away from students. In the end, they will generally bring more harm than good.
-is able to have fun doing it
I can't tell you how many fun memories I have with this guy. He understands this principal well. Too well.
-is honest
There is a balance between being an encourager to your students, and lying to them. This is what makes the auditions for American Idol so incredibly amusing. These people really believe that they're all that, because "my teacher says I'm the best ever...". I still remember the day that Dr. Wolfe got pretty angry with me, basically telling me that I was wasting my talents by not ever practicing, and just coasting because I thought I could get away with it. Honesty. It's a good thing.
-is able to create passion in the heart of a student (most important, in my opinion)
Yes. Most important, in my opinion, is the ability to instill passion in their students. I believe that passion will get a student further than anything else. The student who listens to recordings for hours on end of their favorite musicians, just to figure out exactly how to play or sing it, then goes and practices for twice that amount of time, to make their instrument sound the same way as what they heard...that student is generally going to be good some day. The students who love the art, and is not just playing because their parents are making them do it are generally the ones who will excel the fastest. A good teacher will take a student, whose parents are making them do something, and somehow be able to (sometimes) convert that into a student who loves the art.
I joined the Cincinnati Boychoir in 1986 at age 11, the same year that Dr. Wolfe became the director. Through my years there, Dr. Wolfe took me under his wing, and allowed me to be a leader. Some things he should have never trusted me to do: He trusted me to teach sight reading to boys, etc. (I felt pretty clueless...I just taught the others all of the things that he was teaching me privately--there's another principle here, I'm sure). He allowed me to do "sectionals". He gave me solo after solo. He enrolled me in other things in the community (like the time I auditioned to be Amahl in Menotti's "Amahl and the Night Visitors"). He allowed me to conduct the Boychoir in front of thousands at Cincinnati's Music Hall (among other places), as the "assistant director" at age 14!!!
Yes, there is certainly a big place in my heart for Randy Wolfe. I look up to him as the person who invested in my musical foundation more than any others (outside of my parents, who were the ones who actually committed all the time and dollars to make all of the above happen--thanks mom and dad!). Thank you Dr. Wolfe for all you've done for me, and for countless others. Your love for God and people shines through all you do. May God continue to direct your steps in the days to come.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hey Ted. Tell Tricia and Tyler I said, "hello". I didn't even recognize Tyler in this pic. It's been a long time since I last saw them both.

Ted Williams said...

Will do...thanks bro!