Thursday, February 28, 2008

American Idol Update (girls)


OK--finally getting the DVR set to play last night's show. Here we go...
Carly--obviously could be a total superstar. She has a pretty seamless range, as a "belter". I don't like her song choice at all, and she should have chosen to not keep pounding the "high note"--it makes it not seem so special, when you do it over and over. Safe as can be this week, though.
Syesha--Baby cry thing was not necessary in the interview. It made me a little scared of her. For real. She's pretty good, but not good enough to get by with a song that boring. Not so hot.
Brooke--Nice guitar, and she plays it not too bad. Not a bad song choice. I like her better behind an instrument. Last week, she had no idea what to do with herself, etc. She belongs behind a guitar or piano. She probably bailed herself out from last week.
Ramiele--I've always thought her voice is better than she looks like it would be...until this time. Not so good, really. Kind of lame song (but the bass player had a blast).
Kristy--Nice sturgeon! Wow! She's starting to annoy me, though. She's playing the "I think I'm a hottie" card too much, and that bugs me. She's not that good of a singer, really...we'll see. Really doesn't seem comfortable on the stage to me.
Amanda--Harley rider. I used to like that song, but she kind of killed it a bit for me. The dancing bits were not good, and her vocals were just not good at all, really. Pitch problems abound. I liked her before. Not nearly as much now.
Alaina--She has serious food issues. Not a good song choice. She goes sharp constantly, and it's really annoying. I think she has hearing problems a little bit. For real. I've found that good singers go sharp a lot when they can't hear the tonal center of where they're supposed to be--it helps them pick their voice out of the mix, and stay really close to the right note (just a little sharp). Generally, I don't like her much.
Alexandrea--I can't possibly hear that song and think anything but Peter Cetera. It was probably a better performance than it felt like, but it didn't feel that good to me. She should have done a different song, for sure, I think. I'm not impressed. She also gives horrible answers (with Ryan). REALLY uncomfortable.
Kady--She seems pretty cocky to me--"I can sing anything" attitude. Maybe she can sing it all, but she totally defines "jack of all trades, master of none" concept. She's a perfect versatile studio vocal, but NOT a superstar.
Asia'h--Cheerleader. Just like Paula used to be. How cute. Her mistake in the beginning was SO obvious, because she smiled at herself. Not good. It definitely turned out better than I thought it would. It wasn't that bad, but I certainly wasn't blown away.

Generally, not at all impressed with the girls tonight. The best was Carly, by far. After that, there are at least 4 or 5 who could go home. My guess of the 2 going home are Alaina and Kady, but more of them deserve to.
We'll see tonight.

No comments: