Thursday, December 10, 2009

Back With My Family

I've been in Columbus for the last week while my wife and 2 children have been in Richmond, VA. My mother-in-law had a relatively sudden surgery which triggered a number of dominos, including Jen and the kids staying down here after Thanksgiving for an additional week (all is well with my mother-in-law).
Coming back to my family was GREAT. Getting off the plane, I couldn't wait to see my wife and kids. When I finally saw them, I knew that they'd had the same feeling of anticipation. Everyone wanted me to sit by them in the minivan on the ride home (my wife won that one!). Everyone wanted a hug and kiss. Everyone wanted to tell me their stories (Noah won that one--evidently he's been creating a book of mad scientist inventions that you really don't want to be a part of...he's pretty scary for 8!).
Once we got back to Jen's parent's house, we had dinner with her family. Her brothers Andy and Ryan were over, and it was a lot of fun. The best part was little Morgen--she didn't leave my side all night. She constantly was telling me that she missed me. She said 3 times across the dinner table, "I love you, daddy." There was a moment when she stopped eating just to look at me for about a full minute (that's like an hour for a 3 year old). Her poppy got in her way at one point, and she just kept moving her head to be able to see me...she didn't want to lose focus. Later that night, she asked me to read her a story, then later to dance with her--I had her complete attention the whole evening.
As Jennifer and I were praying together later that night, I realized the parallel in my evening with the relationship that we are to desire with our Heavenly Father. As his children, we are to desire His affection and attention beyond anything else. We are to love Him and prioritize Him higher than anything else. More than success in business. More than dollars. More than that Christmas present that you are expecting and thinking about all of the time. More than all of the Christmas presents that you are acquiring to give to others. More than...well, more than anything.
Matthew 22:37 "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. "

No comments: