Thursday, November 12, 2009

Yesterday

Yesterday would have been the 40th birthday of my good friend, Jim Hvisdos, who left this world nearly 7 years ago after a bout with cancer. Jim went to school with me at Liberty University, for whom we traveled the country together recruiting (with a great team of others, I might add). Really fun times.... I followed Jim to California to work at Big Valley Grace Community Church in Modesto, where he was the Jr. High Youth Pastor (and I was the worship leader). We had a blast goofing off together in staff meetings, golfing together, praying together and encouraging one another to press on.
Jim was a devoted follower of Christ, who loved God and loved people as well as anyone I know. He was an amazing example to the hundreds of young teens who looked up to him as a role model and leader...many of whom are serving God today because of his influence in their lives.
Jim passed away on Jan 7 (my birthday) as I was getting on a plane to go see him. He had been taken to the Cleveland Clinic here in OH for treatment. While I didn't get to see him that last time here on Earth, I can't wait to see him again soon in heaven. It will be a really good day.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is random, but I was one of Jim's junior high students. I'm now a senior in college and am doing a project on influential events in my life. I'm including Jim's life and death, and I stumbled upon this via google.
Jim helped me redefine Christianity. I would NOT be where I am now in my walk with Christ if it weren't for Jim. He is loved and missed greatly.

Aimee Bidlack

Ted Williams said...

Thanks for sharing, Aimee. Amazing to see how God uses things like this to shape us in a way that glorifies Him.

Lisa Crabtree said...

I miss him so much i woke up cryn past couple nights thinkn of him he inspired me as a teen to do my best and never let anybody get me down always givn me scriptures to help me as i got older i lost faith and was so mad for everything in my life and now all i can remember is him telling me just to love God love ppl ....

Lisa Crabtree said...

I miss him so much. I have woke up the past couple nights thinkn of him and crying remembering how he inspired me as a kid how on my tuff times he would give me scriptures and tell me not to let others let me down. As i got older ive lost my faith from being mad at the world,but remembering him and his love for his church and students makes me smile i will never forget the last dy i saw him i was upset,he gave me a hug and said "lisa just remember to always love God love everyone ur going to b ok" ive never forgotten

Ted Williams said...

Thanks for sharing, Lisa. I was thinking about Jim today :)
I'm certain he would tell you the same thing today that he told you then. Love God. Love people. Not sure what you've been through, but God loves you a lot. It's time to return to Him :)